January 31, 2009

Gordon Lyon Sunshine

A quick trip to Arctic Valley for some afternoon turns in the sunshine was a sure cure for powder fever. Though tempted to change over to my downhill boots, I took my light weight system up to the summit of Gordon Lyon. Beautiful sunshine, 10 deg F, and calm air for the most part.












The lady on the snow report hotline called it 6", more like 4" - reminds me of a bad joke. Gordon Lyon was painfully thin at the summit, but 100 ft below the summit was nice sparkley powder on a scritchy base. Good enough for a couple of laps.












Oh yea, I almost forgot the report on Salomon's X-ADV 8 boots. Well, I'm still enamored. Today was a tough test for the rugged touring system, and especially the boots. The system held up well on 30+ degree slopes with 4" light powder on an icy base.

For a light system, the boots have exceptional torsional rigidity without compromising flex where you need it. Salomon has done very well with the X-ADV 8's.

http://jackalaska.blogspot.com/2009/01/salomon-x-adv.html

No comments: