March 6, 2009

Wolverine AnthropoScene

Humans have clearly affected the earth, and Paul Crutzen defined the era, but its outcome is difficult to imagine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene

Whether our present lifestyle and population density can be sustained is a major question. And, even though a minimum carbon footprint ski day using Backdoor Trail to access the mountains without using an internal combustion engine was nice, it did not give me a holier-than-thou feeling because our place requires a lot of btu's and juice to make it comfortable. Thank goodness for that clean-burning Cook Inlet natural gas!

Wolverine above timberline was blustery with big plumes blowing off the ridge lines. But, those mega-plumes did not affect on the creamy snow below timberline. Beautiful sunshine, excellent snow, and a new line made my anthropocene contemplation fade away.

Backdoor Trail was faster today. I took my camera, but left the memory card plugged in the computer at home. So, I cannot give you images of what Doc called a "Robbie Trail." I don't believe it was intended as such, but I took that description of Backdoor as quite a compliment. Near Point and Wolverine Trails were exceptional! Snowpack is a bit thin for late winter, but the skiing was GREAT! And the new line I found on Wolverine was great, too. If you can't stand a little bushwhacking, the down route (blue) might not be for you.


No comments: