October 18, 2013

Sleeping Sweetly with Knee Repair

Can't recall sleeping so soundly - a medical marvel.  Another medical marvel is the minimal intrusion of current arthroscopic practices of meniscectomy and loose body removal. Compared to the solution for similar symptoms in the 1970's, today's procedure was almost restful.  In my 1970's meniscus job, I had an overnight hospitalization leaving me with a 6" incision, a lot of pain, and inability to walk without crutches.

This morning, I went to the surgery center at 6 a.m., got an IV, answered questions from a few nurses and anesthetists, laid down on a table and went to sleep.  I woke up an hour and a half later, feeling rested, and walked out, ok I actually limped out, at 10:30 a.m., but with no more pain than I limped in with.

The nap was nice.  Hope the limp improves.

2 comments:

Dante said...

Heal up soon!

Matt saffer said...

Hope you are recovering well Jack! I too was amazed at the ease of modern surgery and my "nap", with my nose surgery. Was super nervous going in having never had surgery. Really was a breeze aside from the recovery....that has sucked.